Thursday, February 22, 2007

close enough to touch and still so far away

In 1996 I went to Europe. It was hectic. Six countries in five weeks, a vocal jazz tour, a relationship on its way out, a lot of first class experiences crammed into a really short time frame. If I had it to do over, I'd rather have the second class eurail pass and a backpack and let my wanderings lead me where they may.

Still, it was a good trip. I sang jazz in France (4 parts -- the vocal arrangement of Miles Davis's Freddie Freeloader; I sang Miles' part in his key, back when I was in practice and had that sort of range). I saw dame Judi Dench and Vanessa Redgrave on stage in London, I went to the river I was named after in Ireland, spent an afternoon walking the staircases in Montparnasse, visiting the Dali Museum, thinking up ways I could live for a year in Paris...

I remember one stretch, a four day break from the tour, where we left Germany to take a train to Italy. The train took us into Austria briefly and through the northern Italian Alps. I remember looking out the window of the train, these massive green mountains jutted up against the rolling hills beneath them. Austria close enough to touch, Italy just unfolding. I remember thinking it looked like a painting. A small house, more of a shack really, might appear here or there, dotting the landscape, but otherwise it was like an unoccupied dream. I remember wanting to throw myself off that train and wander these hillsides indefinitely.

I haven't made it back to those countries, though I hope to one day. There is so much of the world I haven't seen and so much that speaks to me. I have the urge to travel. I always do, and traveling only feeds the traveling bug. It quells it for a time as well, but it has been too long. I can feel it in my bones; I need to go somewhere.

No comments: