Tuesday, September 12, 2006

finally...

I've begun the work of adding recommendations for books (and probably music, art, and other interesting things as they occur to me or I discover them) over at my other blog: Almost Better Than Honey. I'm not at all sure what I'll do with it really, or whether I'll even have the time, given that the new school term begins in two weeks and my time between now and then is filled with workshops. Not to mention I was tapped for teaching duty, so yours truly will be expected to stand in front of a classroom full of 25 students and act like I actually have the authority to be there. Which I will, but I'll surely feel like an impostor! In any case, wish me luck. I'm sure I'll need it.

1 comment:

Susan Denning said...

Hi S,

You will rock as a composition teacher.

In my limited and humbling experience:

They don't "get" irony. Irony in fashion, yes. Irony in an essay they are asked to read for freshman comp. - not usually.

They don't "get" any cultural references to anything that happened before 1995. As in, Robert De Niro in "Meet the Parents" - they get it! Robert De Niro in the Godfather - blank stares.

Don't fear the freshman stare!

From a person who met you yesterday! (susan)