Wednesday, July 28, 2010

mouse

To the little grey mouse under the kitchen sink:

I'm sorry that there isn't enough room in the house for all of us, and I'm sorry for what must have been a traumatic evening spent, at least in part, between my cat's teeth. She was only doing what kitties do, and, in truth, it's probably best that she did. I only wish she possessed a full set of teeth so that she could have finished you off more quickly. Finally, I am sorry that I didn't have the heart to finish you off when she eventually tired of toying with you. I know you must have been in pain, but I could neither bring myself to wring your tiny neck, nor scoop you into a plastic bag (where you would have suffocated-- surely a fouler alternative), and instead only turned you out into the tiered bed of flowers in the front yard. I hope you expired quickly and in peace, or that you made a quick snack for a wandering owl, and that you can forgive me.

No comments: